Monday, January 9, 2012

Back to the Gym ( or, Holiday Hiatus is Over)

I have never been an "athletic" person though I did enjoy taking ballet lessons and performing with my ballet schools from ages 5-13.  In high school I did the Jane Fonda workout before school and I did take tennis lessons in college, but that is about it for me in terms of organized exercise...

About 6 years ago I started going to my local gym and I have not looked back.  Due to my work and commuting schedule, I can only attend classes on the weekends but every weekend I go to a weights class and a step aerobic class, both Saturday and Sunday.  It is not easy to get up early every weekend (especially in the heart of winter) but the class format is a great support system and I love the energizing power of the music.  Of course, I missed class the weekend my husband and I went to my parents' for Christmas in Annapolis and I was sick over New Year's so this weekend was my first time back in a few weeks.  Boy am I sore today!  My mother calls it "muscle awareness" and it is a good feeling to know that I am getting back in the swing of things.  Tip: when the going gets tough during class, and I feel like I can't do any more reps, I visualize one of my summer dresses or a new outfit that I want to fit into and that is my incentive!  I have my eye on a few pieces from the Lilly resort collection!


No comments:

Post a Comment